Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ice Cream, Doughnuts, and Lates, O My!

It has been an emotional few days for various reasons and this is never good for eating well. I had a bowl of the world's greatest comfort food; moose tracks ice cream. Anything is good in moderation, but there was nothing moderate about this bowl! This thought raises a question… I swear I heard a Bible verse that said that everything is good in moderation. I went to find it to put a link in here for you, but I couldn't find it. Am I wrong? Do you know what verse I'm thinking of or is this not scriptural?

After my bowl of comfort I went to bed only to wake up still upset. So, even though I had a fridge full of yummy healthy food I went to the grocery store to buy a doughnut, banana, and a venti skim latte. I was going to go to the gas station to get a doughnut, but I went to HyVee just to get fruit...and there is a Starbucks there. Regardless of my motivation for going to HyVee, I'm proud that I had the banana. On the way to the store I called my mom and with some perspective on my emotions I ate my banana. Then...I didn't eat the doughnut! I threw it away. Yes, I wasted money. Yes, I wasted food. Yes, I'm pretty pumped. In a perfect world I would have stayed home to have a free protein filled breakfast but instead I adjusted to my first mistake of leaving my apartment.

I brought my friend Katie her latte and I had another good talk with her. We then had an unhealthy lunch. This was only because it was free. If I had planned I would have brought healthy food, oh well. At least I threw away a doughnut!
Right to left: Me, Katie, and our friend Schultzy. We've been friends for 8 years! This was our first picture together. Awww.

I need to take more pictures. This is a year an a half old, but it is the best I could find.
The rest of the day was no fruits or veggies, just a lot of saturated fat and sugar due to not planning. Then being all sad again I got another latte and had another good chat with Katie. Then I went home to have a great devotion.
 
I've been in a much better mood for the last twenty-four hours. Today I had veggies, lean meat, whole grains... Today wasn't even a good day. I went to the ear doctor. I forgot how much I hate the ear doctor. I even cried and my ear is sore. It turns out I have hearing loss. My options are: do nothing, hearing aid, or exploratory surgery. So, as if I wasn't cool enough, I have an appointment to learn about the possibility of a hearing aid.
I'm always amazed that even if I have three good conversations with people in one day what really helps is a good conversation with God. I find it interesting that carbs are comfort food and Jesus is the "bread of life." John 6:35 So, the lesson here is plan ahead and spend time with God.
One of the reasons for my bad mood is my "little brother" leaving for the Navy this week. I hate this picture of me, but this is the last one I have with him. We are at his grad party.




This is one of my favorite pictures of us. He was so little! We've been family friends for 14 years... I think.



3 comments:

  1. I like your comment about Jesus being the bread of life. It is crazy that we eat when we are sad and when we are happy when we need to turn to Him.
    You may be thinking about the verses where Paul says everything is permissible but not expedient--I Cor 6:12 and I Cor 10:23.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! I think this was the verse I was thinking of. Does this support my thought or am I twisting scripture to say what I want?

    1Corinthians 6:12

    "Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sher!
    I'm enjoying your messages here :) I'm going to follow you as soon as i figure out how to do that! I am sending you the link below to my daughter -in -law's blog. She talks alot about healthy eating and exercise ...you might enjoy it. Take care and keep writing!
    http://itsprogression.com/
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete