Friday, July 20, 2012

Why a blog? Why "Coffee with Sher?"

Welcome to my first ever post on my first ever blog. Odds are if you are reading this you know me; if not, check out the ABOUT ME.  Either way, let me explain why I’m doing a blog and what inspired the name.
 When on Pinterest, I tend to look at the "Fitness" section. I started browsing there because I had pretty much covered the DIY things one day so I moved on to a different category. I found it to be inspirational! There is definitely some bogus info, some solid info, and I kept finding weight loss blogs. Now, I'm addicted to some of them like a good book; I feel for the characters. I enjoy watching them evolve, grow, and learn; I can't wait to see how it ends! I kept pouring over their blogs, facebook profiles, and I even follow one on Pinterest. This whole time my arrogant self kept thinking, "I could write that." I did get almost all A's on my high school AND collage papers; I think this qualifies me. Haha! Then I saw one blogger said that she highly recommended having your own blog for motivation.
One day someone asked me, "What would you do if you weren't going to be a nurse?" and I had to think… which is weird for me because I'm always changing my career. All of a sudden I realized that ALL I wanted and all I could see myself doing was nursing. So I said, "Um...I don't know...a writer...maybe..." They said, "What would you write?" Ever so eloquently I said, "Um...I don't know...a novel...or...a blog?" Then we laughed about how I could write a blog about being a nursing student. The problem would be my blogs would just say, "Still studying. I might check my e-mail later."
I haven't searched out many blogs, but I haven't seen any from Christian nursing students. With all of this on my mind I thought, "What could it hurt? Everyone can relate to trying to be healthy and lose weight while being busy. Also, with my background in exercise and nutrition, and my current ongoing education in nursing I could provide some sound information on health and weight loss. On top of all this, being a Christian, I want to know what the Bible has to say about how to treat our bodies."
And with this, “Coffee with Sher" was born. I kept coming up with dumb names for my blog. I asked some friends and they came up with more dumb names. So, I decided to just use a dumb name because if I waited for a name with meaning I would never get started. And, wouldn't that be your loss?! ;) Last night I went to bed, this morning I woke up and I rolled over and thought, "Coffee!" Then I sat up! "Coffee with Sher!" Duh! It's what I do. It's practically who I am. Baristas at various coffee shops know me by name; some even know my order. And, I have had some really great talks over coffee. So grab your coffee, tea, or hot chocolate and let’s chat!

3 comments:

  1. Love it, Sherica! So excited to read more!!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having Coffee this morning while reading it, seem like the thing to do. Excited to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Josh said. Sip . . . read . . . sip.

    ReplyDelete