Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Aha Moment

God has been telling me that my life is about Him and not me. I keep responding by, "I know. That's what I want. How do I live that way?" Weight loss is all about you, not anyone else. We are told to take time for ourselves and love ourselves. Studies show that people who are successful at weight loss do it for themselves. So now I've been trying to figure out how to make weight loss about God not me.
I believe He wants me to get healthy and lose weight. I started this blog for the motivation, but also to tell people how weight loss fits into a Christian life. Even with this in mind everything has still been about me. I enjoy the few comments I've gotten on my posts and I have 9163 page views! I even have 3 followers (let's pretend that they aren't my aunt, mom, and brother, haha).  I keep checking to see if any of these numbers are growing. Tonight I did devotions that I hope changed my thinking from myself to God.
Isaiah 6:1-8
1.       In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple.
2.       Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.
3.        And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."
4.       At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
5.       "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."
6.       Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar.
7.       With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."
8.       Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
I read this a few times. The first time I got to verse 8 saying to God, "Yes! Send me! I'm ready for a change. I want to get out into the world and show You to people!" Then I read the verses again. Verses 1-4 describe how intimidating this scene is; God is "high and exalted." The train of his robe actually fills the temple by itself. I pictured myself kneeling on this soft red robe that is now covering the floor and hearing the seraphs praising God, resulting in structural damage and smoke. I then related to the words in verse 5, "Woe to me!" I'm SO not worthy to be in his presence. Despite that, in verse 6-7, He takes away my guilt and my sin is now atoned for. Then, in verse 8, He asks who is going to go for Him.
This time when I respond, "Here am I. Send me!" I'm not saying this because I'm bored and want to get out of this town, I'm saying it because I'm excited about what God is doing and I want to be a part of it. Then ...the light bulb went on. He already sent me. I'm writing this blog. God is doing something new to me. I'm just excited that God chose me to honor Him. I'll struggle with making good choices, but if that shows you His power I'm just fine with that.
2Cr 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2Cr 12:10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong
  God has been telling me three things.
1. It's about God, not me.
2. In my weakness He is strong.
3.Trust Him.
I haven't really known how to implement these facts into my life. Being reminded that serving God is an honor helps me grasp how everything is about God not me. When I grasp that I don't care if I'm weak because it shows God's strength. Also knowing that everything is about God makes me trust Him for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment